Monday 2 April 2012

Technology's Role in Globalization.

This image gives us a pretty good understanding of the different concepts that globalization covers, and also shows technology's role. Technology has a role in all of these components.

The 'spreading of American culture' depends on technology, advertising, and the Internet.
'Increasing cross border exchange' depends on technology, as it facilitates the transfer of funds and information and facilitates communication between these borders.
I'm not sure what they mean by 'decreasing distance', but it has the word the Internet right under it and makes reference to jets, which are quite technological, so we can assume that that's the relationship. If I had to guess, I'd say that due to the increasing border exchanges and the other things I mentioned there, the 'distance' becomes obsolete.
'Increasing instantaneous communications' allows us to communicate on a political, professional and personal level.
'Increasing power and voice' is again facilitated by the Internet and social media, though this time on a broader scale. This demonstrates how technology allows us to organization to become such significant societal actors as Amnesty International.
'Increasing influence of global media networks' is definitely important, though I'd say that I am definitely aware of the negative implications of this. I am recently enrolled in a course called Marketing and Society that demonstrates the inherent conflict of interest in network TV, particularly in the news. Corporate and political influence over these networks do not seem to be working in the interests of society, and are using news channels, advertising and other trusted sources to provide us with biased misrepresentations. I'd recommend checking out this link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6737097743434902428. It's a long one, but very informative. This video with others that I've watched in the class have changed the way I see the news. Or the way I don't I should say; it made me stop watching it.
'Increasing economic links' is obvious at this point.
'Increasing global movement' is a summary of all of these points, and the role that the Internet and technology have played and continue to play in globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment