Tuesday 27 March 2012

Ideas to date.

I thought it might be appropriate at this point to outline, without evidence necessarily, my current opinions on how technology has influenced our society. When I say "our society", I do mean that within Canada. I suppose blogs are likely published globally, so I should consider this in my future experiences with them.

Despite the assumptions that are associated with my generation (I was born in 1988), I quite dislike technology. I do, however, regretfully admit to have some level of dependence on it. I immediately become distressed upon the realization that I do not have my iPhone with me, I resort to the Internet at slightest hint of boredom, and I do not conduct research in the library from books, but rather from the Internet with the help of my friends Ctrl+F and Shift+F7 (Find and Thesaurus, respectively). My regret of this dependence is rare for my generation, as most people that I associate with seem to be proud of this relationship that they have with their devices. I find that this dependence has implications on virtually all aspects of our lives, from our friendships and relationships to our work ethic and physical health. I also believe that this consequences are becoming increasingly negative with each day, as each day contains new progressions in the field, new products and services that are intended to make our lives just that much easier, as if they aren't already easy enough.

Or wait, are they? Has technology made our lives more simple or simply more complex? This is an issue I will have to address in my blogging. I'm starting to think I might actually enjoy this blog experience.

Anyways, back on topic. I do hope to address in my future with this internet community my opinions on technology and how globalization has resulted. Conversely, it might be worthwhile to consider how globalization has affected technology.

Some of the topics that I can think of currently that I will be addressing are: social ineptness that has stemmed from technological independence; the resulting work ethic of current and future generations as a result of technology; the cultural implications; the benefits in terms of our ability to "communicate to the masses" should we have something worthwhile to say; the political implications that the Internet has on our daily lives as opposed to other countries; the misrepresentation that government, industry and public relations collectively exert upon us, as well as the willingness with which we accept these ideas and "facts" with no questions asked; and the future that I believe technology to hold for us in terms of its rapid advancement and consistent desire to simplify the world which it thrives upon.

Now you know where I'm headed. When I say "you", I'm not sure who I am referring to, as I'm not even sure this blog has been successfully created to the point that it publishes what I am saying... We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment